Instagram Crumby Situation

Monday, February 27, 2012

Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese Straws

I'm kind of a nut for pre-meal bread.  The danger is that I fill up on them too quickly and then force myself to eat too much of my meal and then have no room for dessert.  The hidden dangers of eating carbs, I think.  You might say "Well, why just not say no to bread before your meal?" To which I say, shut your mouth when you're talking to me!  The obvious answer is a lighter option.  I found a great recipe in The Essential New York Time Cookbook for cheese straws that are so uncannily like cheez-its, it's ridiculous.  The possibilities are endless for these little gems.


Cheese Straws

  • Cheddar Cheese, Grated: 4 oz 
    • I used extra sharp cheddar
    • 4 oz is half a block of cheese.  Definitely shred it yourself.  It's cheaper and tastes better.
  • AP flour: 3/4 C
  • Salt: 1/2 t
  • Crushed Red Peppers: 1/4-3/4 t
    • I found that 3/4 t was too spicy for me.
  • Butter, Unsalted, Room Temperature: 4 T, cut into 4 pieces
  • Half-and-Half: 1 T
The Butter is Camera Shy
Preheat your oven to 350 and have a ungreased baking sheet ready to go.

Put your cheddar cheese, flour, salt, pepper and butter into your food processor (or you can do it with a pastry cutter) and process for about 30 seconds until it looks like really course bread crumbs.  




Add your half and half and process until the whole thing is rolling around your processor in one big ball.



Lightly dust your counter top with flour and roll your ball out into an 8x10 rectangle (dust your rolling pin and the top of your dough if necessary).  




Cut into strips about 1/4" wide with a very sharp chef's knife and gently transfer onto your baking sheet.  If they're falling apart when you try and move them, use your knife.  Keep each straw about 1/4" away from each other.




Bake for about 14-16 minutes, until the tips of the straws start to brown.




Now Try This!
Cut them into squares, pop a hole in the middle of each one and make your own tasty cheese crackers!




No comments:

Post a Comment